gianthogweed

Cranky Romance & Grumpy Erotica

SPOILER ALERT!
Bone Rider - J. Fally

Bone Rider - J. Fally

Great reading. The characters, all of them, are great, the dialogues are smart and hilarious. Maybe the POWs are a little confused, but who cares, the plot is original, super vibrant and exciting as few others in this genre. Wonderful indeed!

But ..

I picked up an m-m, *science fiction* book.

At first I was so pissed off that I had to put the book down for a few days to convince myself that I had taken an action book, instead (one of those where you turn off your brain and just enjoy the explosions). And only then I was able to suspend my disbelief and enjoy the reading.

Shit, an interstellar spaceship enters the Earth's orbit first, and then is on a collision course with our planet: even my grandfather with his binoculars would have been able to spot her a long time before the impact. When she would fall in Texas, there would have been 7bn eyes fixed there with popcorn, welcome signs or rifles. And even if the whole human race had been busy looking elsewhere, the seismographs would have recorded the event... even on the other side of the world (but perhaps the author believes that, out of the great America, we live in caves fascinated by fire).

But I continued to read and it was time for the autopsy. Okay, so far, the science in this science fiction was shitty, but I have faith, dear author, amaze me. Procedure, mhm... procedure again. Ugh, I want science, the thing that explains... hole, red alert, end.

What the fuck? No effort of imagination to give a minimal explanation of how the intelligent armour works. And so the badass Dr. Butler manages to make a report to the general only because the author told her to say those things.
Coup de grace :

" I Believe That, for all intents and purposes, you can Consider the host Already Dead , sir..."

Of course, a badass scientist who babbles BS without the full facts. Here, I flipped the fuck out and took a break.
A book can't be classified as science fiction only because it contains the words alien, spaceship and AI. No, scratch that. It can. But it will be a shitty sci-fi work.

So, great job, dear author, but next time stick to action, huh?