gianthogweed

Res Amatoria

Cranky Romance & Grumpy Erotica

Chase the Storm

Chase the Storm - V.M Waitt

It was absolutely mindfuck. For 210 pages the author tells a m-m Harlequin romance - Elijah is a heroine (a maiden) in all respects, except for the name. But everything I've read is the romanticizing and, above all, the normalization of an abusive relationship.At the end Elijah manages to fulfill the dream of all the victims in denial: to transform the abusive asshole in a sugary top, but I don't give a damn, I just want a bucket of bleach for my brain.

ETA

I found it insidious. It seems harmless, because it's extremely romantic since everything is focused on devotion. When in fact, from the beginning to the end, Elijah (a nineteen year old) lives in function of Chase (an adult whose age we don't know, despite being asked).
Elijah walks on eggshells (to not be manhandled) when Chase is angry, he's happy when Chase is happy, he's sad when Chase is sad, he has sex when Chase is excited, he grows when Chase forces him to grow. My rose-colored glasses - with which I filter certain novels- were cracked at the first shove and scratch and at the end I couldn't help but call this dripping romance bullshit.

Okay sorry folk, you notice that I'm still fuming? -.-